KY Venues Hiring General Manager for KICC
By on 10/02/2017
Kentucky International Convention Center
Salary: $140,000 – $155,000 annual
Work Address: 221 Fourth Street, Louisville, Kentucky 40201
Under the Kentucky Venues brand, two major convention and exposition facilities— the Kentucky Exposition Center and the Kentucky International Convention Center — serve regional, national and international clients. Governed by the Kentucky State Fair Board, Kentucky Venues also produces signature events: the Kentucky State Fair, World’s Championship Horse Show, National Farm Machinery Show, Championship Tractor Pull, North American International Livestock Exposition, North American Championship Rodeo and All-In Hoopfest. From agriculture to technology, autos to entertainment, and athletics to livestock, Kentucky Venues has the facility, capacity and services to make each event a success.
The Kentucky International Convention Center, located in the heart of downtown Louisville, is the agency’s showcase venue. Currently under a major renovation from the ground to rooftop, the KICC will re-open August 2018 to host a full calendar of major conventions, national meetings, private parties and exclusive events. The stunning Convention Center spanning over two city blocks owns two adjacent parking garages and is within steps of major hotels, restaurants and entertainment hot spots.
The General Manager is the executive who has full responsibility for all aspects of KICC business operations including finances and revenue. The GM will represent the KICC by contributing to the Commonwealth’s economy by managing and overseeing the day to day operations of the large multi-purpose facility entrusted to the Kentucky State Fair Board. This position is responsible for overall customer experience, administration, management, planning, coordinating and directing the development, operation, maintenance and continued vision of the Kentucky International Convention Center.
Work schedule can include nights, weekends and holidays as event schedules require. Benefits include health insurance, life insurance, paid leave, and state employee pension.
General Manager Essential Duties:
- Responsible for lease agreement management along with sales team to provide direction and lead the overall strategy, vision, service and revenue growth for the facility;
- Provide leadership and management for the day to day and internal operations of the Kentucky International Convention Center in addition to all properties conjoined and/or associated with the KICC;
- Market, promote, and maximize availability of all venue space and attached facilities of the KICC;
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining best in class customer service;
- Provide astute fiscal management and leadership of the $5.5 million budget, while ensuring that fiscal policies and practices are in accordance with applicable state law and Cabinet policies;
- Administer and carry out policies as determined by the Board while also maintaining positive relationships with all stakeholders, including the surrounding local governments, state government, tenants, and the public;
- Oversee 30 or more state employees in accordance with the Kentucky Revised Statutes (KRS) and Kentucky Administrative Regulations (KAR);
- Provide and foster overall leadership and support for all staff by creating the appropriate culture and character of KICC through personal and professional conduct;
- Responsible for positive employee relations including effective delegation of duties and fostering high staff morale which leads to increased employee retention;
- Oversee physical property for maintenance/repair/replacement needs, ensure accountability for all equipment and inventory;
- Responsible for providing a safe and sanitary environment for contracted in-house food and beverage provider; involved in F&B contract services;
- Performs market analyses to find opportunities to increase business; works with marketing and guest services to create internal and external promotions;
- Review special event contracts for profitability and feasibility;
- Participate in preparing annual budget in conjunction with CFO and Board; participates in developing short and long term plans for revenue growth and cost control measures.
General Manager Qualifications:
- Preferred candidate would exhibit an entrepreneurial spirit—forward thinking and committed to the operational and fiscal success of the Kentucky International Convention Center.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Business Management or related field, or similar GM experience in lieu of degree.
- Minimum five years’ experience as a GM or Operations Manager in an events or hospitality-related field.
- Extensive background in event sales and promotion preferred.
- Ability to successfully perform all job duties and responsibilities above.
- Must have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must have expertise in profitability analysis and budgeting.
- Preferred candidate would exhibit strong problem-solving skills in long-term and immediate situations.
Applicants and employees in this job title may be required to submit to a criminal background check.
Interested applicants should e-mail a cover letter, résumé, and at least 3 professional references to:
Frank Jemley, III
Chief of Staff
Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet
Commonwealth of Kentucky
The subject line of the email shall state “KICC General Manager Vacancy”.
All applications must be received by midnight on Tuesday, October 10.
THE COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, AGE, DISABILITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, GENETIC INFORMATION OR VETERAN STATUS. REASONABLE ACCOMODATIONS ARE PROVIDED UPON REQUEST.
PDF: KICC GM Description