Kentucky Exposition Center Hiring General Manager
By on 10/23/2017
Kentucky Exposition Center General Manager Position
Salary: $145,000 – $155,000 annually
Work Address: 937 Phillips Lane, Louisville, Kentucky 40209
Under the Kentucky Venues brand, two major convention and exposition facilities— the Kentucky Exposition Center and the Kentucky International Convention Center — serve regional, national and international clients. Governed by the Kentucky State Fair Board, Kentucky Venues also owns and produces signature events: the Kentucky State Fair, World’s Championship Horse Show, National Farm Machinery Show, Championship Tractor Pull, North American International Livestock Exposition, North American Championship Rodeo and All-In Hoopfest. From agriculture to technology, autos to entertainment, and athletics to livestock, Kentucky Venues has the facility, capacity and services to make each event a success.
The Kentucky Exposition Center, conveniently located at the airport exit just off of I-65 and I-264 in Louisville, is the agency’s flagship venue. This 1.2 million square feet multipurpose venue and property is the home of the historic Freedom Hall arena, the modern and expansive North and South Wings, the Broadbent Arena, plus an impressive indoor livestock and multi-function exhibit space within the West Wing and Hall. The KEC and its staff produce the largest, continuously air conditioned indoor State Fair in the world. All types of events, concerts, conferences, seminars, meetings and livestock shows throughout the calendar year simultaneously take place on the KEC grounds. Recent additions include an FAA-approved heliport, an indoor-outdoor horse show arena, and a shared facility with Kentucky Kingdom/Hurricane Bay Amusement Park.
The General Manager directs the daily operations of the KEC staff and facility, and provides executive level management and policy analysis for the KEC. Responsibilities include working with business representatives, organizations, community agencies, advisory committees, and show producers. Duties also include oversight of the Sales and Marketing function, Venue Management, and Operations Divisions. The General Manager negotiates operational contracts, monitors the work of contractors, and serves as liaison with state and local departments and officials. Duties are performed under the general direction of the Kentucky State Fair Board and work is subject to evaluation based on results obtained.
Work schedule can include nights, weekends and holidays as event schedules require.
General Manager Essential Duties:
- Addresses the mission critical needs of enhancing business development, improving operational excellence and customer service responsiveness required to compete in the national convention and tradeshow markets;
- Executive ownership of capital projects and related construction;
- Advancement of best practices that will lead to first class customer service and operational excellence;
- Provides day-to-day management for the overall operation of the Exposition Center venues and facilities, and management oversight of departmental areas;
- Provides necessary facility support and services to successfully stage and accommodate convention and event activities;
- Acts as representative with state and local departments and officials, stakeholder groups, business and civic organizations, and clients;
- Plans, organizes, assigns, and directs, through management and supervisory personnel, the daily activities and work assignments of clerical, unskilled, semi-skilled, skilled, paraprofessional, professional, and contract employees;
- Directs and supervises operation and maintenance programs of the Exposition Center facilities;
- Communicates and works with representatives of various business organizations, community groups, and show groups, regarding facility accommodations and services for conventions, trade shows, consumer shows, entertainment productions, banquets, and community events;
- Prepares and approves recommended annual budget plan and provides for effective and timely oversight of expenses to budget;
- Plans for existing and future staffing, equipment, and material needs;
- Performs contract administration duties, including evaluating proposals and bids, negotiating and recommending contract terms, evaluating performance, and ensuring compliance with contract agreements;
- Meets with and develops effective working relationships with the corporate community and partner organizations;
- Works closely with show clients and tenants to provide consistent, timely delivery of high quality services and provides effective measurement of service delivery results;
- Demonstrates superior seamless customer service, integrity, and commitment to innovation, efficiency, and fiscally responsible activity.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Current industry practices and procedures in the operation and leadership of an exposition center, convention center, arena, or similar public assembly facility.
- Current industry practices and procedures in providing effective sales programs.
- Revenue programs and potential revenue-generating opportunities relative to a multi-function exposition center operation.
- Effective practices/programs for provision of first class customer service and monitoring of service delivery.
- Principles and practices of public administration, municipal budgeting and expenditure monitoring, supervision, and public building management.
- Effective management and leadership practices and skills.
- Provide leadership and management guidance over a wide range of departmental staff.
- Negotiate effectively in writing and in person with private and public agencies and with representatives of various business, client, and community groups.
- Perform a broad range of supervisory responsibilities over others.
- Achieve established objectives with minimal guidance and supervision.
- Make presentations to small and large groups.
- Comprehend and make inferences from written material.
- Operate effectively within state government.
- Work cooperatively with other agency employees, management, a wide range of elected officials, large-scale municipal government, the Louisville Convention and Visitors Bureau and the general public.
- Negotiate successful results representing the best interests of the Kentucky Exposition Center.
Applicants and employees in this job title may be required to submit to a criminal background check.
Interested applicants should e-mail a cover letter, résumé, and at least 3 professional references to:
Frank Jemley, III
Chief of Staff
Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet
Commonwealth of Kentucky
The subject line of the email shall state “KEC General Manager Vacancy”.
All applications must be received by 4:30 PM on November 6, 2017.
THE COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, AGE, DISABILITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, GENETIC INFORMATION OR VETERAN STATUS. REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS ARE PROVIDED UPON REQUEST.