Director of Sales & Marketing Position Available for KICC
By KY Expo Marketing Team on 02/13/2018
Director of Sales and Marketing
Kentucky International Convention Center
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Work Address: 221 S. Fourth Street, Louisville, Kentucky 40202
Governed by the Kentucky State Fair Board, Kentucky Venues’ two major convention and exposition facilities – the Kentucky Exposition Center and the Kentucky International Convention Center – partner with regional, national and international clients to host world-class events. Kentucky Venues also produces signature events annually: Kentucky State Fair, World’s Championship Horse Show, National Farm Machinery Show, Championship Tractor Pull, North American International Livestock Exposition, North American Championship Rodeo and All-In Hoopfest. Whether it be a trade show, convention, conference, live stage show, livestock exposition, an athletic tournament or a private event, Kentucky Venues has the event space to offer for a successful and memorable event experience.
Kentucky International Convention Center (KICC), located in the heart of downtown Louisville, is the agency’s showcase venue. Nearing the end of a complete two-year renovation, KICC will re-open August 2018 to host a full calendar of major conventions, conferences, expositions and private events. The remarkable new convention center will span over two city blocks, is within steps of Louisville’s major hotels, restaurants and attractions and will continue to operate its two self-owned adjacent parking garages.
This position will serve the Kentucky International Convention Center to facilitate short term venue sales and marketing efforts. The Director will manage, supervise and coordinate the activities and operations of the Sales team in scheduling and booking events and provide highly responsible assistance to other executive staff members. The Director will manage key client and partner communication, and be responsible for forecasting and tracking sales results. This position interacts and works closely with the Louisville Convention & Visitors Bureau, the local hospitality community and other key stakeholders to facilitate long term sales efforts.
- Assume management responsibility for all Sales team services and activities including the scheduling and booking of events; the development of sales materials, campaigns and proposals; leading sales efforts; generating contracts and evaluating sponsorship opportunities within the facility.
- Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities of all sales and marketing programs and activities.
- Monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; assess and monitor workload, administrative and support systems and internal reporting relationships; identify opportunities for improvement and review with the General Manager and implement improvements.
- Select, train, motivate and evaluate all Sales staff; provide or coordinate staff training; work with staff to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures.
- Prepare written proposals; evaluate potential business value of various events and clients; initiate contractual arrangement; finalize all booking arrangements; negotiate rental and other rates as required.
- Conduct facility tours for potential lessees; address questions and provide information regarding facility specifications and capabilities.
- Participate in the development and administration of the annual budget; forecast funds necessary for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; direct the monitoring and approval of expenditures; direct and implement adjustments as necessary.
- Serve as a liaison to other departments, as well as external partners; establish and maintain effective working relationships and negotiate and resolve significant and controversial issues.
- Provide responsible staff assistance to the General Manager and prepare and present staff reports and other related correspondence.
- Direct and plan promotional projects; coordinate focused marketing programs; develop strategies to attract new markets and clients.
- In partnership with the LCVB, oversee the development of all facility advertising and marketing materials.
- Respond to sensitive inquiries; address customer feedback with a solution-driven approach.
- Interpret and apply administrative and departmental policies and procedures.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Provide excellent customer service assistance to internal and external clients.
- Participate on organizational and industry committees; attend and participate in professional meetings and conferences; stay abreast of sales and marketing trends and innovations.
- Travel locally, regionally and nationally to make sales calls as necessary.
- Participate in business and event operations including the occasional requirement to lift or move loads up to 25 lbs.
- Experience with modern and complex principles and practices of sales and marketing.
- Experience with supervision, training and performance evaluation.
- Experience using Ungerboeck event management software.
- Familiarity with pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Skill in meeting high customer service standards and using industry best practices.
- Skill in public relations; oral, written and interpersonal communication; public speaking; contract negotiation; program planning, and auditing.
- Ability to demonstrate a thorough knowledge of convention planning and related activities.
- Ability to identify potential problems and determine and implement corrective action.
- Ability to multi-task under specified time constraints; function effectively in moderate to high-pressure situations and in office and facility environments with minimal to loud noise levels.
- Ability to maintain constant attention to precise details and accuracy in communicating and implementing specified standards and directives.
- Ability to demonstrate effective leadership skills and to direct, motivate and foster collaboration and recognize and resolve conflicts.
- Advanced proficiency in operating a computer and other office devices including calculators, telephones, copy/fax machines and printers and using Microsoft Office including Excel, Outlook and Word.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in marketing, business administration or a related field.
- Experience in sales and marketing in a tourism or hospitality-related field may substitute for desired education.
- At least 4 years of increasingly responsible sales and marketing experience for a major event or entertainment facility.
- At least 2-3 years of supervisory responsibility.
Applicants and employees in this job title may be required to submit to a drug screening test and background check.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, résumé and at least 3 professional references to:
Director or Human Resources
The subject line of the email shall state “KICC Director of Sales and Marketing Vacancy”.
THE COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, AGE, DISABILITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, GENETIC INFORMATION OR VETERAN STATUS. REASONABLE ACCOMODATIONS ARE PROVIDED UPON REQUEST.